Alien’s Landholding License in St Lucia

All non-nationals are required to obtain an Aliens Landholding License, in order to purchase property in St Lucia. The license is obtained from the Ministry of Physical Development, Housing and Urban Renewal, and must be registered by a local solicitor.

1. The Applicant’s lawyer writes to the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Physical Development Housing and Urban Renewal to request an Alien’s Landholding License. The application is forwarded to the Survey Department (Chief Surveyor) of the Ministry, which prepares a memorandum to the Cabinet of Ministers for approval.

2. Upon approval from Cabinet, the lawyer submits a sworn declaration, and the draft license to the Attorney General’s Office for vetting. If there are no amendments or discrepancies, the draft license is returned to the lawyer.

3. The lawyer puts the license on approved paper and re-submits, along with a sworn declaration and other relevant information, to the Attorney General’s Office, which then forwards it to the Prime Minister’s Office for final approval and signature.

4. The official license is submitted to the Survey Department, where it is collected by the lawyer for onward submission to the Applicant.

Lawyers Charges: 3 – 5% of the cost of the property.
Government Charges – a 7.5% tax on the cost of the property (One quarter of which must be paid in advance) and is non-refundable whether or not the license is issued. The balance is payable upon receipt of the license.

NB: The Alien’s Landholding License is permanent, and does not require renewal.